[clue-tech] Test message <OT>

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 09:00:43 MDT 2005

--- Rita Gibson wrote:
> I think everyone is busy here in the dog days of summer!

"Busy" is an understatement. "Swamped" is more like it.  :)  Have you ever tried to expand a
2-server e-mail handling solution to a 4-server solution (on very limited hardware) using:

* CentOS 4 (RHEL) -- 4 installations (was a 2-server set using RH 7 and RH 9)
* MySQL
* postfix (with TLS and SSL) -- 3 installations
* courier (auth and imap for SSL, IMAP, and POP3)
* MailScanner with:  (yes, I said postfix with MailScanner -- taboo, I know)
++ ClamAV
++ BitDefender
++ SpamAssassin
++ DCC
++ Razor
++ Pyzor
* Anomy
* popAuth3
* iptables (tied to popAuth3)
* Apache2
* SquirrelMail
* postfixAdmin
* named

This hasn't been easy.  I'm still only about 60% finished, and I already feel like I could do some
things differently (like rely on RPMs more than compiling everything from source, set up more
jails, and plan iptables firewalls in advance rather than as after-thoughts).  It took me three
weeks just to figure out how to get courier to install and run properly on an RH-based machine
with all of its dependencies and without RPMs!  :)  I still face some mysteries that I shouldn't
ask about because I'm sure there is documentation out there that will lead me to answers.  ;)

The good new is, everything that is in place (everything except MailScanner and its complement) is
working, thus far, and I haven't lost any mail, yet!  :)

William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)