[clue-tech] Linksys WRT54G Wireless

Dallas Helquist dallas at oldbrownjeep.net
Fri Jul 22 16:31:06 MDT 2005

See inline:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Mike Staver wrote:

> I have a linksys WRT54G here at home now, and I already have a DHCP server on
> my network.... so I wanted to have my laptop setup to use it as an access
> point, NOT a router.  Out of the box, it's a DHCP server and router, etc.
> But I already have a cisco 678 doing all that - all I need is a wireless
> access point and a dummy hub so I can plug my computers in the back and let
> it provide me access to my 678.  Is this possible with the WRT54G? If so, how
> do I do this??

The WRT54G should have a built in 4 port switch + a uplink/WAN port.
Ignore the uplink/WAN in your case.

First - connect one of your computers directly to the switch on the 54G
and power the device on.  You may need to release/renew the address on the
computer.  From a shell do a "netstat -rn" to find your default gateway.
Go to the default gateway in a browser (http://192.168.1.1 or such), and
login using the default username/password.  You should be able to find a
"Disable DHCP" option somewhere under the menus.  You will probably also
want to set a static address for the LAN so you can manage it later on.
Ignore all settings for the WAN/Uplink.  Once done, you can connect the
54G into your existing network using the 4-port switch on the back (I have
mine directly connected to my 678).  It should work without any problems.

The default gateway for your machines will continue to be what it
currently is, and the 54G will simply bridge the ethernet/wireless
networks together.

  -dallas