[clue-tech] Oracle 10g Database Release 2 for Linux woes

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 22:03:38 MDT 2005

Howdy All,

I am pretty new to Oracle other than just installing
it and handing an installation over to DBA(s). I have
found the latest 10g R2 available for Linux to be a
little different from previous Oracle Database
releases that I have seen. The thing that is puzzling
me most is the database user accounts that I get out
of the box and the access to them through the various
utilities.

I have now installed this version 3 times and during
the installs I provided passwords for the default
unlocked accounts: SYS, SYSTEM, DBSNMP, and SYSMAN.
The crazy thing that I am running across at this point
is that the passwords that I provided only seem to
work when I login through the web interface:
http://hostname:1158/em.

IE: sqlplus and isqlplus seem to not recognize the SYS
etc logins together with the passwords provided during
installation of the product from the shell.

It is probably a good thing that "well known" accounts
are now locked. But I wonder if by the time I figure
out my logins and passwords my test installation will
have a time bomb explosion:)

-Mike