[clue-tech] syslog FIFO and Permission Denied

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Wed Jul 27 11:52:36 MDT 2005

After a fresh review of the services that I've installed across these
mail handling servers (see my previous posts as bkimball1 at yahoo for
details, if needed), I have discovered that one of my log monitoring
tools isn't receiving messages from syslog, at all.  It 'appears' (the
messages being sent to the server's largely-unused terminal console is
truly cryptic) as though syslogd is being denied access to a FIFO that
I've set up to pass messages along to one of my tools.

The procedure for setting up this FIFO -- which received mail messages
--  is as follows (with example filenames):
[Note:  I developed this process a few years ago on RedHat 7, where it
worked just fine.  I'm trying it anew on CentOS 4 where it is failing.]
1. log in or su to root
2. mkdir /var/adm/
3. mkfifo /var/adm/my.fifo
4. chmod 0600 /var/adm/my.fifo
5. vim /etc/syslog.conf
5.1. Look for:    mail.* /var/log/maillog
5.2. Add immediately ABOVE this line:    mail.info |/var/adm/my.fifo
6. service syslog restart

I manage my servers across the network via ssh, so I wasn't seeing the
error messages -- everything looked fine except that my tool wasn't
receiving any messages through the FIFO.  By an unrelated task, I
noticed the errors on the monitor for that box.  Rough translation:
syslogd is denied access to /var/adm/my.fifo.  I'd get a copy/paste of
the exact error, except that I don't know how to redirect the error
output to my terminal session and I won't be on location until later
tonight.  Additionally, the errors are writing to the screen as the
system sits at the Linux login screen.

I have Googled around for FIFO permission problems, but nothing useful
turns up.  I assume this is trivial, but I'm unable to see anything
visibly wrong with the FIFO permissions.

Any ideas?

--
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art-form that fights back!" =)