[clue-tech] Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Wed Jun 1 23:30:55 MDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:30:46PM -0600, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 6/1/05, Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:
> > In the time that you've been away from RPM-based distros, that gap has
> > been filled.  For instance, the last two Fedora Core versions (2 & 3)
> > shipped with a tool called "yum" thats basically an apt clone for RPM
> > package repositories.  So one can run:
> >
> >   yum install somepackage-devel
> >
> > and auto-magically have all the package dependencies satisfied and all
> > the necessary RPMs located, downloaded, and installed.
> >

> Yeah, there is discussion on the yum lists about having yum do source
> builds and such, but isn't the original problem with packages that
> _don't_ have an RPM?  Yum only resolves dependancies for _RPMs_ that
> are listed with their dependancy.  Otherwise, if you are building from
> source, yum currently gives you nada.

This is back to one of my earlier points.  With apt-get build-dep (and
apparently with 'yum') you simply have to find the first tier of
dependencies and install the packages required to build them.  It isn't
a perfect world, but it is much better than old (pre-yum) RPMs.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"Windows is about choice - you can mix and match software and music player
stuff. We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music
services."

-- David Fester, General Manager of Microsoft's Windows Digital Media Division
   http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/01/13/0158224.shtml?tid=109&tid=187