[clue-tech] Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jun 2 02:48:04 MDT 2005

Collins Richey wrote:

> My solution to needing a fast machine for spam handling is simple: let
> google do it! Since I opened my mail account on gmail a year ago, I've
> forgotten about worrying about spam or email systems in general. They
> trap it all with a spam tag (a few false positives and negatives), and
> I whack it with a couple of keystrokes when I feel like it. Eat your
> heart out <grin>.

I'm about to follow suit, I think.  The "convenience" of running my own
mail server for a decade has worn off.

The hardest part is going to be kicking old friends and family off the
darn thing and educating them on their multitude of options.

The only disadvantage I can see is if some over-zealous "security" type
at my company or any employer further down the line decides they're
God's gift to network security because he knows how to filter out
gmail.com at some proxy or similar.

I like to check my personal mail once in a while from work using a
normal mail client, and having one's own server with a multitude of ways
of getting to it that will bypass even the smartest of outbound firewall
filtering is kinda nice sometimes.

Anyone else here running a mail server that listens on port 587 to get
around a dumb port 25 filter somewhere?  Ahh... yeah... and add in a
little TLS/SSL for those prying eyes... done.

Nate