[clue-tech] Building packages [WAS: Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?]

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Thu Jun 2 18:46:37 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:06:37PM -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> If you ever do LFS, you have to do all that by hand and it didn't seem
> to be a big deal to me last I looked.  (No, there's no dep hell either
> because if your package links against libfoo, which links against
> libbar, you only need the libfoo headers.)
Wait a minute.  If your tarball.h has an #include <libfoo.h> and
libfoo.h has a #include <libbar.h>, I'm pretty sure you'll need
the foo-dev package and the bar-dev package to build the tarball.c  If
tarball links against foo and foo links against bar, then chances are
they reference each others header files so that the compiler knows how
to call functions in the respective libraries.

A very clean design (also read as 'lotsa wrappers' design, or
'inefficient' depending on your attitude :^) can avoid this, but many
OSS projects don't (YMMV).

This is what I usually refer to as 'header hell'.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"More readable almost always implies more reliable!"

-- Marc J. Rochkind, *Advanced Unix Programming*, Second Ed.