[clue-tech] pwunconv

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 3 10:10:29 MDT 2005

Mike Staver wrote:

> How long should the pwunconv command take?  I started it 5 minutes ago
> on a dual AMD box running WBEL 3.0.  I'm simply trying to get the
> passwords unshadowed so I can move them to a new box, and then shadow
> them again.  I'm thinking something is wrong - and if so, how do I
> stop this process without borking my /etc/passwd file?

If your users chose remotely good passwords, this could take a long long
time.  At least on the order of days.  I tried cracking passwords on my
system (md5 encrtyped) with John the Ripper and it basically has to use
a brute-force + dictionary attack because md5 is not a reversible function.

I would say this isn't the way to migrate passwords.  The best thing to
do is to use the same encryption on both systems so the /etc/passwd file
is still valid.

Angelo