[clue-tech] find a lost wireless router?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jun 3 17:56:39 MDT 2005

skipworthy wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions...most of them I already tried...
>
> I tried Jim's idea, and that is pretty useful and cool...couldn't find
> my WAP that way ( the mac didnt show up in arp, but there are a number
> of 'anonymous' entries there)

Jim said that if ping was blocked you might not see it.  But even if
ping is blocked it will probably answer arp (it has to if it has an IP
that you can connect to).

If the WAP is routing (the wireless NICs are on a different subnet than
the wired side of the WAP) then any traffic from wireless on the wired
side will have the WAP MAC address on them.  And you might try ping
sweeping from both wired and wireless sides.

You can find the first 3 of the MAC (more or less) here:

If you can power cycle the WAP while sniffing on the hub (better to have
an isolated connection between the WAP and sniffer) you might see
something.  Perhaps it will ask for a DHCP address, or the time, or
announce itself somehow.

Dave