[clue-tech] Apple Switching to Intel

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Mon Jun 6 21:31:47 MDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:23 PM, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> OK, where's the beef in this story?
>
> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html
>
> What do you think?
>
> Too tough to tell, but I think it has to relate to the DRM that
> Intel is  putting on the chipset and motherboard.
>
> Or, you can take this view:
>
> "Regardless of whether I think that the Apple processor switch will
> be beneficial to Apple, Linux-on-the-desktop does not look as
> favorable anymore."
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10768

I doubt it has anything to do with DRM.  This year, laptops made up
more than half of all PC sales.  IBM can not deliver a G5 that will
go into a laptop for Apple.  Apple has no choice:  IBM is no longer a
realistic supplier for their chip needs.  At that point, it was
really only a choice between Intel and AMD.

Tim