[clue-tech] Apple Switching to Intel

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:36:40 MDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:
> OK, where's the beef in this story?
>
> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html
>
> What do you think?

I don't get it.

My understanding was that the video/audio creatives loved their
hardware because the 64bit processors got them faster processing in
that kind of work.  And I've read that they are going to x86
processors, so I don't get that at all.

If they're doing it to get a cheaper/faster processor then AMD makes
_a_lot_ more sense not so much because AMD is that much faster/cheaper
but because Apple has basically no volume discount bargaining power
with Intel and has a lot more with AMD.

Maybe they finally realized that the proprietary hardware idea wasn't
a good one and they want to move further into the software/consumer
electronics market.

Maybe it's just more in a long line of stupidity (Newton, AppleII, Cube...).

It sounds to me like they just really really needed to get away from
the PowerPC because it was lagging badly and maybe that scared them
from other "niche suppliers" like Transmeta and then AMD is seen as
the cheap "white box" provider so they settled on Intel.

Greg