[clue-tech] Digital Concepts cameras w/ Linux?

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Fri Jun 10 07:51:58 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:32:06AM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> So, I've been seeing these absurdly cheap digital cameras ($25-50 range)
> being sold under the brand name Digital Concepts, and I'm wondering if
> they will work with Linux (obviously I'm not going to attempt fine art
> with one of these--just need some quick snaps for the Web).

If it has a compact flash or other memory card to store the pictures on,
then it is most likely that it uses an MSDOS file system on it (so that
the card readers at camera shops can find the pictures on it), so that
should be able to be plugged into a USB reader which will work under
linux.

If it has internal flash only and a USB interface only, then it's a bit
more unknown.  Many cameras use proprietary protocols over USB, but many
emulate a storage device, which would certainly work under linux.

Marcus Hall
marcus at tuells.org