[clue-tech] interesting computer case

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:00:19 MDT 2005

On 6/13/05, Peter Motykowski <peter at motyka.org> wrote:

> My current plan is to use one of these little guys:
> http://motyka.org/images/misc/ipaq.jpg

Any reason you aren't using a shuttle (http://www.shuttle.com/ or
similar) case?  Where is that image from?  It looks to me like that
case is 'small' in volume displaced, but for a realistic situation of
sticking it in the closet the angular shapes would be less useful than
a shuttle which is shoebox size/shape.

> Ideas?  Should I be concerned with heat, air circulation, etc?

I think heat/air is probably going to be a problem.  I've seen a
couple in closet installations of stereos/computers and they almost
always end up with random shutdowns on hot days which then requires a
fan that vents into the ceiling/next room over/basement which
sometimes involves a little duct work.  Not a big deal in a
house/condo, a bit bigger deal in an apartment.  You could also
consider going to a water cooler and putting the venting radiator far
away from the mini-case - I have no idea if water coolers can fit in
mini-cases like that.

Greg