[clue-tech] interesting computer case

Peter Motykowski peter at motyka.org
Mon Jun 13 11:41:51 MDT 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Peter Motykowski <peter at motyka.org> wrote:
>
>>My current plan is to use one of these little guys:
>>http://motyka.org/images/misc/ipaq.jpg
>
> Any reason you aren't using a shuttle (http://www.shuttle.com/ or
> similar) case?  Where is that image from?  It looks to me like that
> case is 'small' in volume displaced, but for a realistic situation of
> sticking it in the closet the angular shapes would be less useful than
> a shuttle which is shoebox size/shape.

I scrapped the idea of a shuttle case becasue their barebones
configurations are a couple hundred dollars.  Even Ebay had slim
pickings of older shuttle configs.  I'm not looking to spend much.  With
baby on the way, I've got little room in the budget for this project.

>>Ideas?  Should I be concerned with heat, air circulation, etc?
>
> I think heat/air is probably going to be a problem.  I've seen a
> couple in closet installations of stereos/computers and they almost
> always end up with random shutdowns on hot days which then requires a
> fan that vents into the ceiling/next room over/basement which
> sometimes involves a little duct work.  Not a big deal in a
> house/condo, a bit bigger deal in an apartment.  You could also
> consider going to a water cooler and putting the venting radiator far
> away from the mini-case - I have no idea if water coolers can fit in
> mini-cases like that.
>
> Greg

Venting may be an option since I live in a '50s ranch style single story
home.  I could probably install a fan that would channel heat up into
the attic.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Motykowski: peter at motyka.org