[clue-tech] Mozilla locks up FC2 system, forces hard reboot

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:43:06 MDT 2005

On 6/14/05, bof <bof at pcisys.net> wrote:
> I am running FC2 on a PIII 700.

Oh my.

> When trying to access certain webpages under Mozilla 1.7.7,

You know that's an old and non-secure version, right?

<snip>

> I never know which pages are going to do this -- they occur randonly as
> I browse the web. Here is one example:
>
>     http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/.
>
> This particular page locked up the system under Mozilla but loaded and
> worked as it should under Konquerer 3.2.2-8.FC2.

Does that sequence of events happen consistenly?  System lockups
aren't the kind of thing you want to test a lot of times, but knowing
that it locks up consistently would help the Mozilla folks in
debugging this.

> What is happening? And do I really need to run the file system integrity
> check when rebooting?

I would recommend the following steps:

1. Find a web page that consistently locks it up
2. Try creating a new profile using something like #mozilla --profilemanager
3. Once you are using the new profile, go back to the page that was
consistently locking up the machine and see if it happens again.  If
it doesn't lock, solved - bad profile somehow.    If it does lock...
4. Move to 1.7.8 (unless your 1.7.7 includes the changes in 1.7.8)
5. Try the webpage again using the 'old' profile and a new profile
that you make under 1.7.8 - if that solves it, assume it was a patch
on 1.7.7 - if not, the real fun begins at: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org

Are you using FedoraLegacy.org or something like that to keep this
machine updated?

Greg