[clue-tech] Mandrake 10.1 DSL Access Problem

Todd Williams hp205ctl at hotpop.com
Wed Mar 2 14:54:19 MST 2005

I installed 10.1 for a client about three weeks ago without any problem
accessing the internet through their DSL.  They access the DSL through
a switch connected to the DSL "modem".

OK - Working from memory here -

Do you have DHCP on or off on the DSL "modem" ?

If using a switch or router between the DSL and client, are they both
setup correctly? (generally applies to "smart" switches/routers like a
linksys etherfast cable/dsl router, but not "auto" switches like a
gigafast ez500/ez800)

Was the computer connected to the internet (directly or via a local network)
during the install ?  (mandrakes auto detection stuff is nice, but if the
connection wasn't available or your config isn't what it expects...)

On my home box, to enable DSL access (through an "auto" type switch), I use
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.XXX  (local IP - enabled in firewall)
/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1  (IP of the DSL "modem")
I use all static IP's and have DHCP disabled in the DSL "modem".

If your setup is similar (a simple switch without an IP or no router/switch,
no DHCP) you could try the above commands, after doing:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down

Hope this helps,

Todd Williams