[clue-tech] Questions about CentOS/Fedora

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 08:18:45 MST 2005

--- Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:40:54 -0700, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey hey, that was my point! William is the "CentOS is server only" guy.
>
> CentOS is my desktop and I'm even happier to have it as my desktop now
> that it's CentOS4.

Aye, that was me.  :)  I'm simply trying to assert that "enterprise" Linux targets servers (not
that it only runs on servers).  As to "why is there a desktop install", I believe it's there
because it already exists for upstream breeds of Linux, in general.  It's a tool, and as you
probably recall, a lot of the RedHat _server_ administrative tools are GUI-based.

The rest is just attitude -- for example, I refuse to install GUIs on my servers.  That HDD space
and the CPU+RAM resources are better alloted elsewhere for machines that usually have no console
(just a KVM switch sitting in a corner where no one sits -- the machines are managed by SSH from
across the LAN only).

It is my attitude that desktop workstations should not use enterprise Linux.  Fedora, and other
bleeding-edge OSes, are made for that "constant hands-on" environment where frequent bug-fixes and
latest-technology is better suited.  This is only a personal opinion from which I make only my own
decisions from.

This parable pops into mind (I think it's from a really old Garfield comic, but my memory could be
failing me):  Just because you CAN swat a fly with a buick, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  ;)

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)