[clue-tech] Questions about CentOS/Fedora

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:32:16 MST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:18:45 -0800 (PST), William
> Aye, that was me.  :)  I'm simply trying to assert that "enterprise" Linux
> targets servers (not that it only runs on servers).  As to "why is there a
> desktop install", I believe it's there because it already exists for upstream
> breeds of Linux, in general.  It's a tool, and as you probably recall, a lot of
> the RedHat _server_ administrative tools are GUI-based.

Certainly possible.

> The rest is just attitude -- for example, I refuse to install GUIs on my
> servers.

No problem here, but my environment, of course, is not a server.

> It is my attitude that desktop workstations should not use enterprise Linux.
> Fedora, and other bleeding-edge OSes, are made for that "constant hands-on"
> environment where frequent bug-fixes and  latest-technology is better suited.

Thanks for your comments, but I have a different view. I don't believe
that a "constant hands-on environment" and latest technology require a
"bleeding-edge" OS. I find nothing wrong with utilizing an enterprise
linux (presumably with a rock-solid kernel and toolset [glibc, etc. ]
to run a desktop environment. I see nothing wrong with providing a
solid base for newer technology. One great advantage for this
combination is that RedHat is guaranteeing a lengthy life cycle (3
years full support, 4 more years maintenance support) even for the
Desktop systems associated with the RHEL releases. For the (very low
end) systems we're looking to provide, the users will probably not
have a desparate need for the latest and greatest versions, but they
will certainly benefit from a stable system and from easy (as easy as
it gets on Linux systems) maintenance when updates are released.

> This parable pops into mind (I think it's from a really old Garfield comic,
> but my memory could be failing me):  Just because you CAN swat a fly with
> a buick, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  ;)

Really cute. One of the latest witticisms I heard goes like this: When
the chips are down, the buffalo is empty <grin>.

Thanks again for your input.

--
 Collins