[clue-tech] Questions about CentOS/Fedora

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 3 20:30:45 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
[...]
> 6. In spite of Greg's opinion (CentOS is a server-only distro), there
> are a lot of desktop users, and why would CentOS offer a desktop
> install if it's mission is to be server only?

Uh, let's see.  Windows 2003 Server, Solaris 8 (CDE) and 9 (CDE or
Gnome), RHEL (Gnome)--clearly GUIs for servers are the way of the
future.  (Seriously though, I think MS maybe doing more innovation in
the server market than anyone else.  Sure they have further to catch up,
but Server 2003 was a huge step up from Server 2000.  They're still
crippled for what a real admin would want to do, but companies don't
want to pay real admins.  So look out.)

But I'm with Greg.  Uh, Collins.  No, William.  Well, whoever--I don't
run a GUI on my servers and I only admin my desktop from the command line.