[clue-tech] Noisy computers

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:03:40 MST 2005

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:43:41 -0500, Angelo Bertolli
<angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> /I ha/ve an older computer (P2) that is pretty loud when it's on.  Does
> anyone know of anything I can do to make it quieter?  I guess it's the
> fan on the CPU that's making all the noise, but it's driving me crazy.

You've probably hit the nail on the head with a fan - but not
necessarily the CPU fan.  You could try disconnecting the lead to the
fan and then turn it on to see if it's suitablly quite enough (don't
leave it on for very long in that state!).  If that works, you can get
a quiter fan.  I've had good luck getting adapters to make large, high
quality fans fit onto smaller heatsinks.  The larger fans get move
more air with fewer RPMs and less noise.

It could also be the fan in your power supply unit (PSU).  That's a
slightly bigger pain to test, though you can point your finger at the
PSU if the CPU fan isn't the source of the noise.

Good luck!
Greg