[clue-tech] BNC port

Dennis J Perkins dperkins at techangle.com
Thu Mar 10 08:17:43 MST 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Someone gave me a computer that has an odd card in  it with a BNC port
> for a coaxial cable.  What exactly is this ?  Can I connect it to
> cable internet without a cable modem?
>
> Angelo

It sounds like an Ethernet card.  Some of these cards also had an RJ-45
jack.  The card probably has one of two LEDs to indicate activity and
connection speed (10MB/100MB).  You can still buy an AUI for these cards
but I think a new network card would be cheaper.  If you do buy an AUI,
make sure you buy the right type.  I don't work with BNC, but  the PLCs
I program can have one of three types of Ethernet ports.

If it is a video card, does it also have the standard video port (3 rows
of pins)?  I don't recall ever seeing a video card with only one BNC
connector, but I suppose they might exist for composite video.  I do
remember cards having 4 connectors for Red, Green, Blue, and Sync.

Oh, you can't connect your TV company's cable to this connector.  The
impedences don't match.  The signals on the cable are also multiplexed
and the card would not be able to extract what it wants.