[clue-tech] list netiquette -- OT

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 08:51:18 MST 2005

--- Matt Gushee wrote:
> ... Ideally, someone who has
> never met you should be able to Google up your thread several years
> later and find a clear description of the problem, one or more proposed
> solutions, and how the problem was eventually solved.

Because we all deal with this from time to time, and I feel frustrated every time it happens, I
want to voice my opinion.

While that's a very nice ideal, I fear that the real problem is that it is not intuitive to people
who are posting to a list for the first time (or first few times).  No matter how many times
someone puts up netiquette guidelines on their personal websites, the message just isn't being
_pushed_ to newbies in a way that makes it compulsory to read them.  "Old dogs" who have been
doing this for a long time don't seem to realize this and they tend to jump on these newbies with
spite and sometimes even unwarranted anger.  I'm on several lists and it disgusts me every time I
see this attack.  I am far less offended by the top-posting than I am at the reaction to it (mind
you, I also prefer that top-posting not occur on lists, but it just isn't the Cardinal Sin that
some people make it out to be).  I can't count how many times I've wasted a read on what should
have been a reply to someone's response, only to encouter the text, "DON'T TOP POST!!!!!!!", or
some equally rude derivitave.

The Internet is still anarchic/chaotic and brand new people who have never, EVER used a list
before are trying their first post every day.  No matter how much these old dogs want to impose
their personal will upon the masses, it will forever be a losing, frustrating ordeal for both
parties involved.  I have seen rediculous banter from both sides when the newbie takes --
justified -- offense to some of these reactions.  For the next week, the whole list has to deal
with a flame war between the old dog and the new pup.  It's a total waste and could be EASILY
avoided if the old dogs would be more polite about how they INTRODUCE the pups to the guidelines
and recommendations (NOT *LAWS*) of list posting.

Since we're talking about theoretical ideals, I'd like to toss out this response as a recommended
reaction to list newbies:  "Thank you for joining us on our list!  :)  It seems that you have not
yet been initiated with the guidelines for our list community.  While we will try to do our best
to accommodate your needs, you will experience better cooperation from us if you make the effort
to follow these guidelines:  http://link.to.list/netiquette/guidelines.html.  Now, as to your
matter, [enter a USEFUL and RELEVANT reply to the original post here]."

Never just refer the person to the guildelines without also trying to address their matter in the
same post -- otherwise YOUR post is a waste of a message for the rest of the list members.

:)

William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)