[clue-tech] Cheap Dell server box

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sat Mar 12 12:09:11 MST 2005

Here's an article about silencing a box and the heat issues they come
across.

I've just built a new AMD64 system and my senior techie helped me with
the parts.  One of the KEY issue is having a GOOD CASE that cools your
components down!I've got a Cooler Master Preatorian case that has GREAT
cooling:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-035&depa=1

(There's a half inch gap between each HD location with two fans that
blow air over the HDs.)

It's a more expensive case than some of you may purchase, but it's one
that will be my main one and will last me for years

Using Speedfan (on Windows XP Pro, I know, but I'm writing a book with
Linux, Mac, and Windows in mind and need all three to work with) my CPU
temp rarely gets above 43 degrees C and the HDs  around 27 degrees C.

Also, a data recovery firm here in Denver (I've forgot their name) gave
a presentation about failures of HD and most of the failures are drives
that are above 120-160GB HDs.

You might also check out this site in addition Speedfan for hardware
detection software:

http://www.cpuid.com/index.php

Anyone know of Linux software that does this stuff?  And is free and/or
open source?

HTH

Kevin