[clue-tech] Cheap Dell server box

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 16:02:16 MST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:13:04 -0700, Richard Knechtel
<rknechte at starband.net> wrote:

> EWW! As soon as I saw the word SATA, that was enough for me. I wouldn't go
> -NEAR- SATA! Especially one used by Dell!
>
> Why? Lets see, one guy I work with has gone through 3 of them - burned up.
> He even had to have is case open with an osolating fan blowing into the
> case. Yes this was on a Dell PC even.  We just had another guy on Thursday
> had his SATA drive fail/die/crash this was in a Dell PC that was less than
> 6 months old. In a development environment you can' afford to
> be  rebuilding your system constantly because of drive failures.
>
>  From my experience with SATA - it BLOWS!
>
> I'll take EIDE or SCSI any day. Take the old tried and true!

I've had good experiences with 3 Dell SATA systems (one at home, 2 at
work, various vintages over the past ~year).  Other lists that I'm on
recommend SATA regularly.

This seems like some bad experience that you've had and not
necessarily a uniform rule.

Greg