[clue-tech] Toshiba laptop Memory

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Mar 18 11:37:11 MST 2005

On 18 Mar 2005, at 8:16 AM, Peter C. Hinkle wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm not to up on all of the hardware for laptops like I am
> on the
> desktop/server end and I was wondering if someone might be able to
> answer a
> question regarding memory. I have an old Toshiba 730XCDT PENTIUM II
> machine
> with 48MB of memory. The thing with hold up to 144MB of total memory
> (16MB on
> board and 128MB removable). Anyway, what I want to know is that if I
> go ahead
> and take it up to 144MB, how much actual difference will I notice in
> performance of the machine?

I think most processors are not replaceable on laptops.  I had an IMB
760 laptop awhile ago, which is a Pentium 133.  It initially had 32 MB
of ram, and I upgraded it to 96 MB of RAM with an extra stick of ram.
It made a difference -- before that, it was painful in almost any GUI,
after that, I could run the lighter X Windows managers OK (like
Blackbox).  So in that sense, it was worth it.

BUT -- a few months after I bought a new battery and this memory for
it, the damn thing died.  So in that sense, it was not worth it.

BTW -- I have a 64MB and a 32MB SODIMM (72 Pin) memory stick in that
laptop that are now useless.  They may or not work in yours, as there
are two varieties (FPM and EDO).  They won't work in my new PIII
laptop, even though it uses 72 pin SODIMM.  Let me know off list if you
are interested in them.  I would part with one or both for less than
$120, that's for sure.

Tim
Timothy Klein: tecce at silverklein.net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp