[clue-tech] Toshiba laptop Memory

Peter C. Hinkle drumvudu at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 18 21:24:58 MST 2005

After much thought, Timothy Klein proclaimed:
> On 18 Mar 2005, at 8:16 AM, Peter C. Hinkle wrote:
> > Hey guys, I'm not to up on all of the hardware for laptops like I am
> > on the
> > desktop/server end and I was wondering if someone might be able to
> > answer a
> > question regarding memory. I have an old Toshiba 730XCDT PENTIUM II
> > machine
> > with 48MB of memory. The thing with hold up to 144MB of total memory
> > (16MB on
> > board and 128MB removable). Anyway, what I want to know is that if I
> > go ahead
> > and take it up to 144MB, how much actual difference will I notice in
> > performance of the machine?
>
> I think most processors are not replaceable on laptops.  I had an IMB
> 760 laptop awhile ago, which is a Pentium 133.  It initially had 32 MB
> of ram, and I upgraded it to 96 MB of RAM with an extra stick of ram.
> It made a difference -- before that, it was painful in almost any GUI,
> after that, I could run the lighter X Windows managers OK (like
> Blackbox).  So in that sense, it was worth it.
>
> BUT -- a few months after I bought a new battery and this memory for
> it, the damn thing died.  So in that sense, it was not worth it.
>
> BTW -- I have a 64MB and a 32MB SODIMM (72 Pin) memory stick in that
> laptop that are now useless.  They may or not work in yours, as there
> are two varieties (FPM and EDO).  They won't work in my new PIII
> laptop, even though it uses 72 pin SODIMM.  Let me know off list if you
> are interested in them.  I would part with one or both for less than
> $120, that's for sure.
>
> Tim
Tim, the spec sheet on mine says it uses 16Mbit EDO DRAM. I hear ya about
putting allot of money in the thing and then it quits. I can easily get a
much better laptop on ebay for around $200.00 bucks. i just thought that if I
could come across some cheap memory I might go that way. //p
--
Peter H.
GPG Key ID: 0xCB8F40BD
drumvudu at mindspring.com