[clue-tech] Apache Config

Ski Dawg skidawg at skidawg.org
Sat Mar 19 19:54:09 MST 2005

Hello Everyone,

I have a few different domains that I maintain. I am running apache
(2.0.40) with PHP and MySQL on a machine at home, so I can make changes
without bothering the main site. I currently access these pages though
my local network by going to http://webserver/domain1 in my browser.

My problem is that when I try do absolute paths within my PHP pages, it
is so much different locally then when I upload things to the remote
server. Because of this, I have to keep 2 different versions of all the
files, one for local execution and one to upload to the main server. I
have tried using relative paths, but that doesn't work correctly in all
situations.

I was thinking that I could locally set up subdomains for each domain
that I work with, such as (http://domain1.webserver). Then when I
use /file.php in my php script it would be the same in both places. Is
this the best way to do this? Is there a better method to get around
this path problem?

If setting up sub-domains is the best solution, does anyone have a good
tutorial for setting these up? I tried Googling, but the sites that I
came up with had contradictory information and I wasn't able to get them
to work correctly.
--
Doug