[clue-tech] Intersting review on Arch Linux

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Mar 24 13:34:55 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10047
>
> Wasn't it Match who is tracking Arch Linux?

Maybe. It wasn't Matt, 'cause Matt is *using* Arch Linux, and very happy
he is too.

I guess I mostly agree with the review. The two points I'd take issue
with are:

  * Speed: faster than Debian, yes, but for me the difference is slight;
    certainly not sufficient by itself as a reason to switch.

  * Difficulty of making packages: if you have a simple package that will
    build cleanly without patches, and you know the basics of shell
    scripting and using Make, it's trivial. Okay, so it takes 2 steps
    instead of 1. BFD.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA