[clue-tech] CAcert issues

Dirk Huizenga dirk at biztechwiz.com
Tue Mar 29 12:46:42 MST 2005

I have had problems getting to the www.cacert.org web site for a while
and decided to look into it.  I was getting "www.cacert.org could not
found.  Please check the name and try again." messages from Firefox.
After seeing some other links to their wiki, I found their domain name
(cacert.org) working.  After playing with Dig and finding their IP
address, I still had problems accessing the site in Firefox.  I finally
added their host name and IP (202.87.16.201) to my hosts file and can
access their web site.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is this some conspiracy to block
free SSL certificates?  Does anyone use their certificates?

I understand that these free certs can be a problem, because they do not
have a root certificate in most browsers.  And I have seen a request for
Mozilla (Firefox) to block the ability to add root certificates
(currently marked WONTFIX) that would prevent CAcert's certificates from
validating.  Just looking into using this for a web site.

Dirk.