[clue-tech] CAcert issues

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Mar 29 13:42:28 MST 2005

Hi Dirk,

> I have had problems getting to the www.cacert.org web site for a while
> and decided to look into it.  I was getting "www.cacert.org could not
> found.  Please check the name and try again." messages from Firefox.
> After seeing some other links to their wiki, I found their domain name
> (cacert.org) working.  After playing with Dig and finding their IP
> address, I still had problems accessing the site in Firefox.  I finally
> added their host name and IP (202.87.16.201) to my hosts file and can
> access their web site.

It looks like UltraDNS has borked their root nameserver software so
that it doesn't provide an ANSWER section in the DNS response to an
NS query, only an AUTHORITY section.  My domain ockers.org doesn't
work either, although the A record for my DNS server NS1.OCKERS.ORG
is still given:

[848] root at tahoua.ockers.net:/root > dig +short @a.root-servers.net. org. ns
TLD5.ULTRADNS.INFO.
TLD6.ULTRADNS.CO.UK.
TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.
TLD3.ULTRADNS.org.
TLD4.ULTRADNS.org.
[849] root at tahoua.ockers.net:/root > dig +short @tld1.ultradns.net. cacert.org. ns
[850] root at tahoua.ockers.net:/root > dig +short @tld1.ultradns.net. ockers.org. ns
[851] root at tahoua.ockers.net:/root > dig +short @tld1.ultradns.net. ns1.ockers.org. a
142.179.181.230
[852] root at tahoua.ockers.net:/root > dig +short @tld4.ultradns.org. cacert.org. ns
[853] root at tahoua.ockers.net:/root >

It appears to affect the .ORG TLD.

I'm not sure what it will take to fix the problem but I'd say it's
up to "UltraDNS" .  Heh.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/