[clue-tech] ASK, procmail, forward with postfix + virt users

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Thu May 5 11:15:50 MDT 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 6:49 PM, David Anselmi wrote:

> Dan Harris wrote:
> [...]
>>  I have recently learned about Active Spam Killer (ASK) and the
>> auto-responding feature it provides and would like to make this
>> option available to selected domains that I am hosting.
>
> Some smart people think that challenge-response to prevent spam is a
> bad idea.  You might think twice before making it available:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/challenge-response.html

Sure, I understand the drawbacks.  And that's why I haven't even
considered it until now. But here's the thing:  I have tried everything
I can to diminish the spam intake ( SpamAssassin with all the "latest"
rulesets, RBLS, DNS checks, Bayes filtering ) and still, enough gets
through that it annoys my users (and me too, I still get 100+ per day
).  The problem is that it's really not the type of spam we used to
get, where it was easy to detect it.  Most of these are well-composed
solicitations, just completely unwanted.

When my users see their friends using C-R systems and getting ZERO
spam, how can I expect them to listen to my lecture about good 'net
behavior and accept that I refuse to offer it?  They simply don't care
about anyone else's inbox other than their own.  And, I can sympathize
with that.  As a facilitator, I feel it is my duty to at least give
them the OPTION of using it ( with my lecture about why they will anger
some innocent people ) rather than to flat out refuse to implement it.
Sysadmins care about netiquette and fixing the problem as a whole but
*users* only care about the sysadmin "fixing their Inbox".  And,
frankly, that's my job... so that's why I am asking...

Also, I'm still looking for help on how to implement "dot files" for
virtual users that have no home directory..  Isn't there some way to
offer features like Vacation responders for virtual users?  I feel
embarrassed that when asked to set up an auto-responder that I have to
tell them I can't do it, especially when I hear "MS Exchange can do
that, why don't we use Exchange?"

-Dan