[clue-tech] Email Gateway

Jeff Falgout jfalgout at ogov.net
Tue May 17 19:48:56 MDT 2005

Peter Motykowski wrote:

> I'm currently consulting my employer on a fully OSS-based email
> gateway that will perform virus scanning and spam filtering.  My first
> recommendation was Postfix+Amavisd-new and have now been asked to look
> at Mailscanner.  It looks like Mailscanner has quite a few features
> that Amavisd-new is lacking, such as HTML stripping, statistics
> reporting and more elegant message handling.  If we decide to run
> Mailscanner, we'll use a different MTA since it seems to molest
> Postfix's mail queues. Does anyone have experience with Amavisd-new or
> Mailscanner that could give either a thumbs up/down for use on an
> email gateway?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

We use MailScanner with Sendmail/ClamAV/Sophos/SpamAssassin at work and
are quite happy with it handling about 50k messages per day with peaks
just under 200k/day. It's quite flexible with a very active developer
and mailing list. Several add-ons available for reporting, a webmin
module, and a web interface (MailWatch). I highly recommend it.

Jeff