[clue-tech] kerneld is removing my loaded kernel modules!

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu May 19 17:15:27 MDT 2005

Jim Ockers wrote:
[...]
> The modules in question are ip_nat_ftp and ip_conntrack_ftp.
>
> Something unloads these important modules automatically from
> time to time, and then FTP pass-through stops working.  (I think
> it is kerneld/kmod; perhaps restarting iptables unloads them.)
[...]
> 1. How to turn off autoclean for these modules?

I would think that you just modprobe them (without -k).  But I can't say
I've ever seen a module autocleaned.

How do you get them loaded in the first place?

>  or
>
> 2. How to get the kernel/modprobe to load these modules when
> they are needed?  For some reason the automatic module loading
> isn't working.

I don't think I've used the ftp modules specifically but the nat and
conntrack modules have always loaded for me whenever I've put in an
iptables rule that used -t NAT.

That's what I get currently, though this is 2.6 (I don't have iptables
on any 2.4 boxes).

The 2.6 kernel doesn't do autoclean--perhaps you could upgrade to that.

Are you doing anything with iptables when this happens, or is it just
sitting there filtering?

Sorry I don't have better suggestions.