[clue-tech] Using SUID to downgrade root's access

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon May 23 21:23:11 MDT 2005

I've been trying to set the SUID bit to make an executable (in this case
a shell script) run as a certain user.  In particular this is something
I'd like to be run as "nobody."  So I used `chown nobody` and `chmod u+s`

I tried running it as a regular user, but it still gets executed as that
user.  In particular I wanted to do this so that if this program gets
run in cron as root, it's actually downgraded to "nobody" to ensure that
there is no code which might do something weird.

Am I going about this the right way?

Angelo