[clue-tech] Quotas on debian

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed May 25 14:04:51 MDT 2005

I've started using quotas on a debian machine that I have.  I'm having a
small problem.  When I chmod 600 the aquota.user file, no regular users
can check their quota using the `quota` command.  Now the weird thing
is, this seems to work on a red hat server that I set up a while ago.

Here is red hat being run as a regular user:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        66891 Oct  3  2003 /usr/bin/quota
-rw-------    1 root     root        16384 May 25 15:57 /aquota.user
[angelo at web1 angelo]$ quota
Disk quotas for user angelo (uid 635):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota
limit   grace
      /dev/hda2    5704  100000  150000             340   10000   15000
[angelo at web1 angelo]$ /usr/sbin/repquota -a
repquota: Can't open quotafile //aquota.user: Permission denied
repquota: Quota file not found or has wrong format.

Here is debian being run as a regular user:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 64428 2005-01-25 09:41 /usr/bin/quota
-rw-------  1 root root 8192 2005-05-25 15:43 /aquota.user
angelo at descartes:~$ quota
quota: Can't open quotafile //aquota.user: Permission denied
quota: Quota file not found or has wrong format.
angelo at descartes:~$ /usr/sbin/repquota -a
repquota: Can't open quotafile //aquota.user: Permission denied
repquota: Quota file not found or has wrong format.

If I chmod +r aquota.user, then everyone can do a repquota.  Is there
any way I can keep the file permissions, but let people check their quotas?

Red Hat is running quota 3.09 with RPC
Debian is running quota 3.12 with RPC and EXT_DIRECT

Angelo