[clue-tech] Home Networking problems

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 22:26:47 MDT 2005

Hello,

I have the following machines that I believe I need to
redistribute into a new networking schema to have all
work....

1) Compaq Proliant 6400R #1
2) Compaq Proliant 6400R #2
3) IBM RS6000 43P Model 150
4) IBM 300GL running WinME (All SCSI:)
5) Dell Optiplex GX1
6) Dell Optiplex GX1
7) Custom x86 AMD PC

Now the real problem that I run into is with number 1
and number 2. They are loud and want to put them in my
basement ... but at least cheap wireless cards don't
work ... namely D-Link DWL-G510 and Hawking RaLink
based cards ... surprisingly the closest I have come
with getting a wireless card to work in the 6400R
systems is the RaLink :) But it looks like given the
nature of the PCI slots in those boxes I have to
hardwire ether connect them. I had been warned :)

So my initial thoughts are to activate my coax line in
basement for the rack of Prolients. I see taking the
coax directly into my cable modem; hook it up to my
cheap 4 port router; run the 2 6400Rs into it together
with the RS6000 leaving me one port for a wireless
access point... then run my other machines with
wireless cards ... but if there is a wireless hub that
might be cheaper than buying 2 more wireless cards...
and chuck the wireless pci cards all together ...

Hmm ...

-Mike