[clue-tech] rootkit detection

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Tue Nov 1 11:34:06 MST 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 6:36 AM, Bruce Ediger wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Jeff Cann wrote:
>

>> I used rkhunter which showed no problems.
>
> Just keep an eye on that machine.  Rootkits tend to make "ls" and "ps"
> act funny.  The rootkit I found wouldn't show files with "01" in the
> names.  Recompile "ls" and "ps" from scratch, see if they agree
> with the stock "ls" and "ps" output.

I would add to that an invaluable command:

netstat -tap

This shows you all network connections and to which port and pid they
are associated. I have detected malicious programs by first noticing
any unusual activity on the ports.  For some reason, all the rootkits
I've seen have not replaced netstat with a version that lies to you,
although ps and ls are usually the first to be overwritten.

-Dan