[clue-tech] Odd file

T. foo7775 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 23:26:38 MST 2005

Hi all,

   I'm getting back into Linux after a few years away, & last night I
noticed something really odd on my new Gentoo box - while going through
the files on my system in preparation for installing AIDE, I found an
executable file named '[' (that's just [ without the quotes) in my /bin
directory.  It has a size of 20652, ownership of root/root, & shows only
one link to it.  (To add to my unease, there appears to be no man page
entries for this executable.)

   Now maybe things have changed since I've used Linux, or perhaps I
simply never noticed that file before, or just *maybe* it's a Gentoo
thing - but I'd like to get the proverbial "second opinion".  The output
of the 'file' command lists it as a:

  "32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, Version 1 (SYSV) for GNU/Linux
2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped"

   I'm not *too* concerned that I've been "0wn3d", since this box has
had *very* minimal exposure to the internet, and besides, if it were
part of a rootkit, I probably wouldn't even see the file with ls - but
it *does* have me wondering a bit...

Thoughts/feedback appreciated.

T.