[clue-tech] postfix relay : connecting to external IP, rather than internal IP

Jeffery Cann jccann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 21:41:34 MST 2005

I have two hosts on my LAN (which is connected via DSL to the
internet).  I have a single IP address for the DSL box, which points
to www.example.com.

jumanji.example.com  192.168.0.4
www.example.com  192.168.0.5

www.example.com has a DNS A record and sends/receives email for
example.com domain.

I want to forward email sent (via postfix) from jumanji.example.com to
www.example.com.  So, I put the following in my postfix main.cf for
jumanji:

relayhost = www.example.com

In jumanji's /etc/hosts, I have the following

192.168.0.5     www.example.com

When I try to send email from jumanji, postfix uses the actual
internet IP (71.33.234.x), rather then the LAN IP (192.168.0.5).
Here's an example maillog record:

Nov 11 21:27:54 localhost postfix/smtp[15285]: 9F866530BB:
to=<jccann at gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=0, status=deferred (connect
to www.example.com[71.33.232.x]: Connection refused)

So, I'm not sure why postfix connects to the external IP, rather than
the internal IP.

I'm not sure how to fix this problem.  I'm not even certain this is a
postfix issue -- it could be my networking configuration.  I
appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Jeff