[clue-tech] Additional study groups and/or topics?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Nov 17 20:14:59 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:14:37 -0700
Collins Richey wrote:

> I'm just curious to know if there are others who might be interested
> in get-togethers outside of the CLUE once-a-month meeting and
> Installfests for the purpose of establishing / extending one or more
> study groups for Linux and Linux-related topics?

I'll just toss out the thought that while I see this thread has gotten to
the point of several folks agreeing on a time and place, there's no reason
why there has to be only one more study group. If other folks want to pick
a topic and a schedule, then go for it. Personally, I can't see myself
heading downtown on weekends on a regular basis. YMMV and all that.

Also, once plans are firmed up, please shoot me an announcement type
e-mail, with appropriate levels of info and detail, so I can put something
on the CLUE website.

FWIW, I'm up for something happening more or less along/near the C-470
corridor, i.e west or south. My current interests are:

  How to make RPMs (tried to get started on that a while ago, and petered
out)

  Privacy, Encryption, and Security. This could include VPN, SSH, proxies,
GPG

  Music on Linux -- softsynth, ALSA, jack, sequencing, MIDI. For example,
MIDI on my machine right now is just trash.

  I'd probably participate in stuff on graphics creation/manipulation.
Although I'm spending less time messing with The GIMP these days. Almost
none, in fact.

  PHP/MySQL techniques. Secure websites. Code management. This all ties in
to developing/running the CLUE website. It's also the most immediately
useful to me, since I'm way behind on my to-do list.

  And, just for fun, if anyone wanted to spend a bit of time twiddling
with FVWM, I'd be up for that for sure. One of these, days, I'll get off
my butt and dump KDE to return to the one true window manager. ;D

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E