[clue-tech] Additional study groups and/or topics?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 21:17:01 MST 2005

On 11/17/05, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:14:37 -0700
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > I'm just curious to know if there are others who might be interested
> > in get-togethers outside of the CLUE once-a-month meeting and
> > Installfests for the purpose of establishing / extending one or more
> > study groups for Linux and Linux-related topics?
>
> I'll just toss out the thought that while I see this thread has gotten to
> the point of several folks agreeing on a time and place, there's no reason
> why there has to be only one more study group. If other folks want to pick
> a topic and a schedule, then go for it. Personally, I can't see myself
> heading downtown on weekends on a regular basis. YMMV and all that.

Just what I said earlier. If the DownTowners want their own meeting,
go for it. Linux is all about choices. Someone could play recording
scribe and send Jed brief summaries to post on the CLUE website.

> Also, once plans are firmed up, please shoot me an announcement type
> e-mail, with appropriate levels of info and detail, so I can put something
> on the CLUE website.
>
> FWIW, I'm up for something happening more or less along/near the C-470
> corridor, i.e west or south. My current interests are:

I could deal with that. Is there anything not too far west of I25?
Just to keep things in perspective, Park Meadows Mall is about 40
minutes from my house.

>   How to make RPMs (tried to get started on that a while ago, and petered
> out)

I can give a little presentation on making binary rpms.

>   Privacy, Encryption, and Security. This could include VPN, SSH, proxies,
> GPG

All of that's good.

>   Music on Linux -- softsynth, ALSA, jack, sequencing, MIDI. For example,
> MIDI on my machine right now is just trash.

Don't know all the terms, but converting VCR tapes and/or 33rpm
records to CD/DVD would be fun.

>   I'd probably participate in stuff on graphics creation/manipulation.
> Although I'm spending less time messing with The GIMP these days. Almost
> none, in fact.

I'd still like to know how to make this bugger (GIMP) work.

>   PHP/MySQL techniques. Secure websites. Code management. This all ties in
> to developing/running the CLUE website. It's also the most immediately
> useful to me, since I'm way behind on my to-do list.

Postgres, too.

>   And, just for fun, if anyone wanted to spend a bit of time twiddling
> with FVWM, I'd be up for that for sure. One of these, days, I'll get off
> my butt and dump KDE to return to the one true window manager. ;D

We were going to offer that in our latest RHEL3 image for users at
work, but I can't get past square one on the freakin' RH setup.

1st Saturday in December would be 12/03. Someone who knows the C470
corridor could pick a pizza/beer (or maybe breakfast would be more
appropriate if we do mornings ???) parlor and meeting place. We could
haggle about 12/17 (too close to Christmas?).

Keep those cards and letters coming in.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write