[clue-tech] My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH Re: Additional study groups and/or topics?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:42:47 MST 2005

On 11/18/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >   PHP/MySQL techniques. Secure websites. Code management. This all ties
> > in
> > > to developing/running the CLUE website. It's also the most immediately
> > > useful to me, since I'm way behind on my to-do list.
> >
> > Postgres, too.
>
> Aside from promoting diversity in the database landscape, what
> motivates you to work with PgSQL?  Now that MySQL has stored
> procedures, triggers, subqueries, etc. why stick with PgSQL.  Support
> for PgSQL is almost always secondary in open source projects, so I've
> never seen a compelling reason to learn PgSQL.  Anyone have one?

I'll have to send this comment to another list. There is at least one
senior Linux person (author of various books) who maintains that MySQL
is a kiddy toy and that any serious database user would be running
PgSQL. As an aside, I just read an article yesterday (Liunx Today?) on
a commercial endeavor that supplies a PgSQL interface for Oracle SQL
code. Sounds like a really compelling reason for businesses who need
to save bucks by dropping their Oracle licenses.

Also, the appearance of Triggers and Stored procedures and at least
partial ACID compliance is brand new and little tested in MySQL. It's
been there for years in PgSQL. I'm only an occasional database user,
but I've never been able to understand how MySQL became so popular,
other than initially speed in trivial transactions.

> > We were going to offer that in our latest RHEL3 image for users at
> > work, but I can't get past square one on the freakin' RH setup.

That being FVWM2 and IceWM. I can run them fine on CentOS4, but when I
add them to the Sessions menus on RHEL3, they won't start, and I have
no time to screw with it. XFCE runs fine even on RHEL3. RHEL3 is
prettry ancient, but we can't deal with RHEL4 yet because of massive
patching required for a commercial product that we use. I'm under the
gun to get something better than RH9 ready for imaging new work
stations, and the powers that be have decided that will be RHEL3. I'll
get back to diddling with the other WMs after we get the initial image
ready.

> I know you're no newbie to RH so I'll assume you gave it a fair shot,
> but I'm just curious where in the process you got stopped.

Will let you know later.

> Also, do you guys maintain in house up2date mirrors or something or
> just use the RHN provided ones?  Do you feel it's much (any?) better
> than yum?

IMO, up2date is pretty much a POS, but it's what we use. Also, we do
damn little upgrading of our workstations (all RH9 at the moment, and
we have to handcraft any updates). When we get a little time, we will
be developing Cfengine procedures (half fast working at this point) to
push upgrades to the workstations and servers.

I've never had any problems with yum on my CentOS4 system.

My CentOS system (partition) is on hold at the moment. I boot it once
every couple of weeks to apply any updates, and I still read carefully
the mail list, but I'm mainly working with Ubuntu at the moment as an
easy intro to Debian systems. Debian has been the one gap in my Linux
education for many years.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write