[clue-tech] My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH Re: Additional study groups and/or topics?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Nov 18 20:02:44 MST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:11:40 -0700
Matt Gushee wrote:

>  SQL 92 compliance
>   *Mature* and fairly complete support for foreign keys and views
>   Robustness (maybe not much different anymore)
>   Security? This is just speculation--I'm definitely not a security
>     expert--but the whole permissions model in MySQL feels wrong to me.
>     For example, the fact that you can bring a user into existence with
>     a GRANT statement that references that user is scary ... though
>     maybe in reality it's harmless. Whereas the PostgreSQL security
>     model appears to have been designed by people who knew what they
>     are doing.
>
> But maybe Jed et al can make some more authoritative statements.

Authoritative? Eh ...

I don't care at all for MySQL's security system. Or it's data dictionary.
I can't really do anything like a critique, because my initial reaction
was that it was too cheesy to mess with. So maybe my opinion isn't worth
much, because I haven't really tried to do anything serious with it. And I
agree that having a grant statement cause a user to spring into being is
goofy.

I simply haven't spent enough time with PostgreSQL to have an opinion. My
initial  reaction was that it was fine, and I didn't get into the security
side of it, because I really didn't need anything beyond MySQL, and IIRC,
it turned out that it was a PITA to find a web hosting service providing
PostgreSQL, whereas MySQL is everywhere.

And I have to admit, that after Oracle, nothing seems very robust in
comparison. That's a whole big topic that, frankly, I just don't want to
go into. Not saying the Free/Open source databases aren't good or even
great, as far as they go, for what they do. I ought to learn more about
PostgreSQL, I guess.

--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E