[clue-tech] My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH Re: Additional study groups and/or topics?

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Fri Nov 18 08:11:40 MST 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:

Well, you weren't asking *my* opinion, but I'll but in here ...

>>Postgres, too.
>
> Aside from promoting diversity in the database landscape, what
> motivates you to work with PgSQL?  Now that MySQL has stored
> procedures, triggers, subqueries, etc. why stick with PgSQL.  Support
> for PgSQL is almost always secondary in open source projects,

That may be true for Web-oriented software, but in my experience it's an
 exaggeration for OS projects overall.

> so I've
> never seen a compelling reason to learn PgSQL.  Anyone have one?

I don't know how compelling or up-to-date these reasons are, but here
are some:

  SQL 92 compliance
  *Mature* and fairly complete support for foreign keys and views
  Robustness (maybe not much different anymore)
  Security? This is just speculation--I'm definitely not a security
    expert--but the whole permissions model in MySQL feels wrong to me.
    For example, the fact that you can bring a user into existence with
    a GRANT statement that references that user is scary ... though
    maybe in reality it's harmless. Whereas the PostgreSQL security
    model appears to have been designed by people who knew what they
    are doing.

But maybe Jed et al can make some more authoritative statements.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/