[clue-tech] My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH Re: Additional study groups and/or topics?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 07:30:34 MST 2005

On 11/17/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:

> >   PHP/MySQL techniques. Secure websites. Code management. This all ties
> in
> > to developing/running the CLUE website. It's also the most immediately
> > useful to me, since I'm way behind on my to-do list.
>
> Postgres, too.

Aside from promoting diversity in the database landscape, what
motivates you to work with PgSQL?  Now that MySQL has stored
procedures, triggers, subqueries, etc. why stick with PgSQL.  Support
for PgSQL is almost always secondary in open source projects, so I've
never seen a compelling reason to learn PgSQL.  Anyone have one?

> We were going to offer that in our latest RHEL3 image for users at
> work, but I can't get past square one on the freakin' RH setup.

I know you're no newbie to RH so I'll assume you gave it a fair shot,
but I'm just curious where in the process you got stopped.

Also, do you guys maintain in house up2date mirrors or something or
just use the RHN provided ones?  Do you feel it's much (any?) better
than yum?

Cheers,
Greg