[clue-tech] WS upgrades [was My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH]

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Nov 18 22:24:09 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 11/18/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>

>>Maybe someday I'll run custom and proprietary apps on Debian testing
>>(upgraded weekly/monthly), make it work no matter what, and write a
>>paper about whether that's a better way to go and what the apps have to
>>do to play nice.  (If there are any proprietary apps you can buy to run
>>on Debian.)
>>

> Should be interesting to see what Ubuntu does with their "pseudo"
> enterprise releases. Debian without the attitude, and supposedly
> guaranteed updates over a longer period.

Heh Debian bashing again?... What attitude?

They just say they'll release when it's done.  That drives people batty,
but I think their proof is in the pudding... Debian Stable is exactly
that.  Stable.

Heck Ubuntu picked Debian as a base, that says a lot.  They could have
picked RedHat.

(Oh man, THAT would have been an interesting full-cage deathmatch in the
FUD arena!)

Someone should start the "Rbuntu" (RedHat/Ubuntu) distro now... every
good idea needs at least three or four official forks in the open-source
world, does it not?  Heh.

Where's another multi-billionaire when you need one?  Drat.  We have a
bezillion Live-CD distros based off of Knoppix now... where's the ten or
twelve more billionaires who want to dabble in handing out free Linux
CD's of mostly someone else's work?!  There's plenty of silly words left
to name distros after!  Come on guys, we know you're out there!!  (Wink)

>>It shouldn't be impossible--Debian does it for all their apps.  Good
>>argument to avoid proprietary software.
>
> Yeah, but most companies of more than a few employees line up to pay
> the big bucks to get proprietary Linux and apps, so go figure. Tis
> better to pay through the nose for service contracts for that one time
> in 20 years where you might actually need service from the vendor. So
> thinketh the CIOs and bean counters and lawyers anyway.

I've never worked for any company either a) willing to pay for Linux, or
worse sometimes...  b) willing to even use Linux.

(It's sad, I know.  Solaris 8 ultimately pays my bills where I'm at
right now, and that sucks.  One of the new products got *really* close
to being done on Linux but the developers wanted something "fully
supported" and couldn't swallow RedHat for some reason, so they were
going to do SuSE/Novell and then they ran across issues finding hardware
that was rated for the environment the boxes would mostly go in... Sun
boxes that were NEBS-compliant were at the same price point, unfortunately.)

>>Sorry, I'm rambling.
>>

> Rambling is cool.

Absolutely!

I'll ramble with ya... (GRIN)...