[clue-tech] MySQL vs. Postgres: Was additional study groups ...

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 20 11:31:22 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
> I've lost track of the original mail in this series, but someone (Dave
> Anselmi ?) raised the issue (paraphrased) "Why study Postgres when
> MySQL is more popular and (seemingly) better supported on most Linux
> distros?"

Nope, wasn't me.  My feelings on DBs match your experts.

[...]
> Most of these SQL neophites also only use one table vice many.

One table isn't a database, it's a spreadsheet.  I've seen that done
frequently (first you use a spreadsheet because it's an easy way to lay
out a table; then you use Access because you can put a fancy form on the
front; then you either go back to a spreadsheet because you need fancy
calculations or you get a real database because someone with a clue
realizes you need more than one table (and people with clues don't use
Access)).

Cheers!