[clue-tech] MySQL vs. Postgres: Was additional study groups ...

dperkins at frii.com dperkins at frii.com
Sun Nov 20 17:33:25 MST 2005

>> Most of these SQL neophites also only use one table vice many.
>
> One table isn't a database, it's a spreadsheet.  I've seen that done
> frequently (first you use a spreadsheet because it's an easy way to lay
> out a table; then you use Access because you can put a fancy form on the
> front; then you either go back to a spreadsheet because you need fancy
> calculations or you get a real database because someone with a clue
> realizes you need more than one table (and people with clues don't use
> Access)).
>
> Cheers!
> Dave

I never thought about it in this way, but I agree.  I recently convinced
my supervisor to use a database instead of the spreadsheet he was
planning.  I showed him what a proper hierarchical database can do and,
mirabile dictu, he agreed.

I haven't developed any Access databases since 1999, and at that time I
was forced to work with the tools I had available on Windows 3.1.  I
remember that every time a new version came out, I had to fix my database.
 One time they broke my custom code so bad I couldn't even fix it on the
new version... Access crashed immediately.  Fortunately, one computer had
been missed in the upgrade.  Another time, MS broke the standard Basic
code that Access created automatically.  I don't know if MS does better
now, but I have not recommended Access for reasons like this.