[clue-tech] SA start up question

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Nov 21 19:46:35 MST 2005

In regards to this issue that I had, I simply copied over these two
files spamd, and spamc, like so:

cp /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0/spamc/spamc /usr/bin/spamc

Then the RedHat based script has the right files to use I guess. It
seems odd to me though that installing the RPM didn't take care of this.

Mike Staver wrote:
> I snagged the latest copy of SpamAssassin for my CentOS 3.6 box, and I
> built myself an RPM like so:
>
> rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0.tar.gz
>
> Well, now that I have done that - I can't figure out how I should start
> it up.  Normally, I would have just run:
>
> /etc/init.d/spamassassin start
>
> I used to use one of the "dag" rpm builds for it, but when I didn't see
> one by him for 3.1.0, I decided to build my own.  I just can't figure
> out how I should fire it up now as a daemon like I had it working before
> with 3.0.4.  I did find a script here:
>
> Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0/spamd/redhat-rc-script.sh
>
> My problem is that the script calls /usr/bin/spamd, which I don't seem
> to have.  So, aside from building and installing the standard rpm like
> they suggest on the website - how does one go about installing the spamd
> executable?

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com