[clue-tech] No luck with D-Link DWL-G510: Any recommendations?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:28:11 MST 2005

On Sunday 27 November 2005 7:11 pm, Ed Young wrote:
> I've been trying to get my Dlink DWL-G510 PCI card working with my
> Debian system with no luck.

Have you tried installing the Windoze driver onto debian using the ndiswrapper
utility?  This is how I'm running a Linksys card.
 + http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

The wiki is particularly useful for installation.  My card was documented so
installation and configuration was a snap:
 + http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

I did a quick check of the installation notes and found your card.  It's #8
under the 'D' section:

+ http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#D

Card: D-Link DWL-G510

    * Chipset: Marvell W8300
    * pciid: 11ab:1fa6
    * Driver:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=WL-138G
    * Driver: The asus driver hasn't worked for me. Instead, I used the WinXP
driver on the CD. Its available at
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg510/Drivers/dwlg510_driver_100.zip
    * Other: Works with WEP and WPA with TKIP cipher. May need iwpriv wlan0
ndis_reset when changing essid.
    * Other: Dlink driver has worked fairly stable on ndiswrapper 1.2 but is
rock solid on ndiswrapper 1.5, at least for me. This was tested on Arch
Linux, kernel 2.6.11 up to 2.6.14, SMP, PREEMPT, Pentium3, default stack
settings. ndiswrapper 1.4 OOPses and locks hard, unstable, even with
uniprocessor kernel. Only WEP was tested.

--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein